Thursday, August 12, 2004

"D" day

Well, the day I've been waiting for has finally come, and almost gone. My appointment with the renowned Dr. Laskin was pretty much everything I expected it to be, but not entirely what I hoped. I was kind of hoping that maybe he would ask us some questions, look down my throat and say that we could go ahead and try again!

Everyone was really nice at the clinic and it was great to see such "normal" looking people in such a "not normal" place - it made me feel like less of a spaz. Dr. Laskin had a pretty good sense of humour, he seems like a nice man - which to me is important if the person is going to know all my most intimate details. He went through all my history and asked Rick and I both questions about what we do for a living etc. He did tell us to stop charting immediately. Since we've been doing it for long enough to know my cycle well, he didn't see the point of keeping it up any longer. I told him that I think I have a luteal phase problem and he said that they usually play it safe and treat most patients as though they have one anyway - I think he's implying that once we get pregnant I'll be on progesterone, which I already knew anyhow. Then he ordered a whole series of blood tests and told us not to try to conceive until we see him again.

So there it is, I'm on indefinite hold. I DID expect this, but sure didn't HOPE for it!

I then went and got a series of antibody blood tests taken (that I had to pay $290 for) (and I also had to pee in a cup - and I dropped the cup in the toilet!!! I was so embarrassed that I dried it off and peed in it anyway!!! Now they will probably find a whole bunch of things wrong with me and an ambulance will show up at my home tonight to fetch me - all cause I was too silly to ask for a new cup. I'm such a loser sometimes!) and also had to go across the street to a hospital for blood clotting tests.

I now have to call my family doctor and make appointments for some tests that I cannot decipher (ANA and PTT?) and then on any two days between CD21 and 26 I have to get progesterone tests done.

I feel like it's taken me so long to get this far, and everyone else I talk to has these tests done without waiting all this time (south of the border that is - we have a great health care system up here, but it some things take FOREVER).

I don't even know what to do with myself now. After the blood tests are done and I go off on holidays in September - then what? I have school and working on the house to keep me busy, not to mention work - but how do I keep my mind off this? How do I keep quelling the urge to get pregnant? I know I should be happy and grateful right now that we've made it this far, but I'm so frustrated at the same time. I was fighting back tears while I was waiting for the bloodwork technician.

Plenty of time for drinking martinis I suppose... I did buy some vanilla vodka at duty free this weekend...

3 Comments:

Blogger ~Tanya~ said...

Jackie - Oh I have been thinking about you all morning. On Hold huh! That is always so hard to hear especially coming from someone else. I wish I could help you work through this time. Hey, you can come up w/ some more menu plans for me ;) I did make your chicken (sorta) last night. I had to use some honey mustard dipping sauce I bought & breaded it w/ crushed Special-K cereal. Blake really liked the crunchy chicken. I don't usually bread things so if we go out to eat he always gets fried chicken because the coating & I hate that he loves it so much b/c you can see the grease dripping out of it. Ughh....Sorry kinda went off there.
You are so lucky...no charting!!!! What a relief, you have sorta started that already.LOL at the pee cup falling in toilet. If you need a distraction don't be afraid to look me up. I am here for you any way I can be.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Jackie - I'm glad the appointment went ok and I'm glad that he's being aggressive and ordering so many tests and such. It sounds like you at least have a plan of action - I'm just sorry you've had to wait so long to get there. It sounds like it's also good that he told you not to chart since you've kind of gotten to that point anyway. Once we know our cycles, the charting just drives us insane anyway!

I am glad you're going through all this though - you'll feel so much better that you did in the end - I know you know that. Hang in there! I'm thinking about you constantly!

Oh and by the way, I cracked up when I read about dropping the cup in the toilet! Too funny! maybe if something weird comes back from your tests you should ask to take another test with a clean cup :) I probably would have done the exact same thing though.

Keep drinking those martinis! It won't be long before you can't have them anymore.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Jackie--I'll gladly send you FIL's homemade wine to pass the time!! ; ) Someone should be enjoying it!

I'm glad that the wheels are in motion. You'll have the results before you know it. And then, you'll finally know.

LOL on the pee cup drop! I've done that before!! Isn't it funny how we hold on to things like OPKs and HPTs with a death grip, but those pee cups are slippery little devils!!

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home