Monday, August 16, 2004

Trying NOT To Conceive

Let me tell you - it takes a lot of pre-occupation to trick your mind into ignoring the biological call to get pregnant. I don't know where to begin, my thoughts are sort of scattered.

I guess I'll go in chronological order.

Friday:
I went for "electro-dermal" food sensitivity and enironmental toxins and balanced hormones testing. I could try to explain exactly what this is, but I'm not sure I fully understand it myself. The reason I went is that I am doing myself as a case study for school and this place (called "Red Paw" - named after their cat interestingly enough) is where many nutritionists and naturopaths in the city refer their clients for allergy testing. I have heard mixed things about it, but it seemed like a good starting place to me (and the price was right!)

While you're getting tested - in one hand you hold a metal cylinder, wrapped in a wet cloth that is attached to a machine. The other hand gets poked and prodded with another wet, sharpish metal object that is also hooked up to the machine. The computer screen shows each individual thing that they are testing the "energy" of and then measures your response to it.

My results showed that I have sensitivities to all food that is remotely processed or sinful in any way! Dairy, sugar, caffeine, ALCOHOL, chocolate, gluten... the list is LONG! I did suspect that I have a candida overgrowth and this testing did seem to confirm that.

The hormone results were pretty interesting. It said that everything was balanced, with the exception of progesterone, testosterone and melatonin. I pretty much knew the progesterone is not balanced in my system - so that at least showed the testing isn't all a waste of time. We will confirm that with blood tests on Wednesday and Friday this week as well.

After reading the depressingly long list of things that are now banned from my diet until my candida clears - I went home and had not one, but two, martinis to drown my sorrows! Oops! Rick and I fell asleep on an air mattress in front of the basement television, watching "13 Days". Woke up at 2am and went to bed.

Saturday:
6am - Rick decides we need to get up and get to work around the house.
7am - I finally get up, get dressed and make a healthy breakfast that sticks to my new list of approved foods.
8am - I'm actually in Home Depot choosing paint for my new backyard shed (and the paint guy, who is rather cute is flirting with me! As if called by some "guy is harmlessly flirting with your wife beacon", Rick shows up and that's the end of that...)
9am - I'm painting the shed while Rick is roofing it. Look at us - we're a home improvement show!

We spent the entire day out there (except for a brief rain delay) and then went out for Ethiopian food with some friends. I managed to go through the whole day and night without eating anything on the "bad" list. Very proud of myself!

Sunday:
Had to deal with Rick's panic that the skin around his eyes and nose were swollen up in an allergic reaction to something (this has been going on since Tuesday, but I have chosen to block it out until now - guys can be such babies!). It took a phone call to his mom, his sister and finally tele-health Ontario to finally calm him down.

We finished painting the shed, the garage side door and the top of our outdoor dining table and then had a hearty dinner of approved foods before watching "The God's Must be Crazy" while I started knitting a chunky scarf for myself (I've had enough of knitting baby blankets for other people for a while!).

2 whole days without cheating on my candida-be-gone diet! Weekend 1 of Trying NOT To Conceive!

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Tanya~ said...

Jackie good for you for not falling to the "bad" list of foods. My family picnic was not so good for dieting or "good" nutrition. The testing sounds very interesting that you are going through, especially the hormone balances. LOL at your home improvment show, maybe you want to take a trip to south west Minnesota? I have lots of projects to keep you occupied. ;)

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home