Shower trouble
It would appear that I am going to have a shower - of the baby variety. This is one of those things that I thought would never happen (because I would never have a pregnancy that made it far enough for someone to plan one) and is also something that I've secretly been excited about, but not let myself think about often.
My sister would be the logical person to throw me such a shower - she actually managed to surprise me with my wedding shower... but sister is off living and working in England at the moment. After having spoken to a couple of close friends at work, we decided that the best thing for me to do would be to tell my two best friends that they were hosting my shower. The only complication being that J lives out of town and R has just adopted a giant puppy who is eating furniture and basically making the place a bit nasty (she is in love of course and who can blame her - he's quite a cutey). No problem, they can have the shower at my place! Problem solved. I planned to tell J & R about their duties at our next get-together.
Until my sister called me out of the blue and told me not to make any shower plans or let anyone else make them. Ummm, okay, this doesn't mean by any chance that you're planning this from another continent does it? I'm not sure who leaked the information but it certainly caught me off guard. I had to grill my mother (and convince her that they couldn't possibly suprise me by trying to have a shower on one of the two weekend days that my sister is home from England in June - I may be clueless sometimes... but not quite that bad). I managed to find out that they were planning a shower at my mom's house (yay, exactly what I didn't want) and that her boyfriend (or "partner" as she calls him) would be there to help out (oh great, this is getting even better).
This is something that I am not proud of, but I am secretly ashamed of my mom's house. It's the house I grew up in.. it's in a wonderful neighbourhood and it's over 100 years old - Tudor style. Used to be quite something, until her and my Dad divorced and her "partner" moved in and they neglected to do anything when the house started to fall apart. They don't take much interest in cleaning.. the cleaning lady comes once a month, poor thing... they have a horrible cat that everyone is allergic to... and once you look past the impressive art collection you'll notice that things are literally falling apart in some of the rooms. I actually get the cooties when I go there sometimes. I know that my mom's house is no reflection of me... I know that there is no one that needs to be impressed - but even knowing these things, I am not big enough of a person to get past them I guess. Maybe I am horrible even... maybe I am going to make the worst kind of mother.
So, now I've made my mom feel bad by telling her that I was hoping that the shower would be at my house (told her that it was because I wanted Rick to be involved) and I've ruined my sister's surprise (even though it couldn't possibly have been a surprise). I am now everyone's favourite!
I am going to blame all this on pregnancy hormones and hope that my family will forgive me for being a horses's ass.
My sister would be the logical person to throw me such a shower - she actually managed to surprise me with my wedding shower... but sister is off living and working in England at the moment. After having spoken to a couple of close friends at work, we decided that the best thing for me to do would be to tell my two best friends that they were hosting my shower. The only complication being that J lives out of town and R has just adopted a giant puppy who is eating furniture and basically making the place a bit nasty (she is in love of course and who can blame her - he's quite a cutey). No problem, they can have the shower at my place! Problem solved. I planned to tell J & R about their duties at our next get-together.
Until my sister called me out of the blue and told me not to make any shower plans or let anyone else make them. Ummm, okay, this doesn't mean by any chance that you're planning this from another continent does it? I'm not sure who leaked the information but it certainly caught me off guard. I had to grill my mother (and convince her that they couldn't possibly suprise me by trying to have a shower on one of the two weekend days that my sister is home from England in June - I may be clueless sometimes... but not quite that bad). I managed to find out that they were planning a shower at my mom's house (yay, exactly what I didn't want) and that her boyfriend (or "partner" as she calls him) would be there to help out (oh great, this is getting even better).
This is something that I am not proud of, but I am secretly ashamed of my mom's house. It's the house I grew up in.. it's in a wonderful neighbourhood and it's over 100 years old - Tudor style. Used to be quite something, until her and my Dad divorced and her "partner" moved in and they neglected to do anything when the house started to fall apart. They don't take much interest in cleaning.. the cleaning lady comes once a month, poor thing... they have a horrible cat that everyone is allergic to... and once you look past the impressive art collection you'll notice that things are literally falling apart in some of the rooms. I actually get the cooties when I go there sometimes. I know that my mom's house is no reflection of me... I know that there is no one that needs to be impressed - but even knowing these things, I am not big enough of a person to get past them I guess. Maybe I am horrible even... maybe I am going to make the worst kind of mother.
So, now I've made my mom feel bad by telling her that I was hoping that the shower would be at my house (told her that it was because I wanted Rick to be involved) and I've ruined my sister's surprise (even though it couldn't possibly have been a surprise). I am now everyone's favourite!
I am going to blame all this on pregnancy hormones and hope that my family will forgive me for being a horses's ass.

1 Comments:
(((HUGS))) I can relate. My mom's house is disgusting. And I am not exaggerating. DH and I never really want to go there because there is dog and cat hair everywhere, plus who knows what else with my brothers being there. Nobody cleans since I moved out (I was responsible for most of the housekeeping when I lived there). I cringe at the thought of sitting *anywhere* in that house. And I prefer public restrooms to their bathrooms. It's actually one of the reasons why I convinced my mom that we had to have my sister's wedding shower elsewhere (after all, I sure as heck wasn't going to clean that mess up, especially with a 6 week old infant!). It's really too bad because the house isn't even 20 years old, and they bought it when it was just built. But my brothers have really wrecked the place and nobody seems to care.
But think...at least they're planning a shower, right? My baby shower will probably be at my mother's house, so I'll be in the same shoes, sweetie. (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment
<< Home