Meeting the Doula
I've known for a long time that if and when it ever came time to give birth, that I would want the support of another woman during labour. Not someone to boss me around or interfere - just someone to support both Rick and I, that would be able to pull handy tips out of her bag of birthing tricks and help us to achieve our goal of natural child birth and breastfeeding.
The first obstacle was to convince Rick that such a person was required. At first he was offended, thinking that I was trying to replace him. But after reading more on the subject he has slowly come to see the potential benefits. If we end up having a long labour and he has to go and eat or go for a pee for that matter, now he'll have a backup to spell him out. Not being the sole person responsible for trying to keep me calm and breathing is what has clinched it for him I think.
The second obstacle to overcome was to find someone who doesn't mind traveling around the city. We live at one end and the hospital we're delivering at is right downtown.
Our first candidate cancelled on us twice before we'd even met - she was promptly crossed off the list. Fate would have it that when I asked my OB if he knew of any Doulas, he in fact did. Another patient of his had recently become a Doula and he gave me her information.
Last night we met with Paula abDoula (names have been changed to protect the innocent). She is 10 years younger than me and full of enthusiasm and energy (not that the two things are necessarily related). Because she is still being certified, and we are taking a chance by using her - there would be no monetary cost to us (I'm not sure that Rick actually needed to hear any more than that).
Paula provides a pretty thorough service: she'll help us with our birth plan and teach me some positions and breathing techniques - 2 meetings with us before labour; she's available for questions 24/7; she has a backup person in case of emergency on her end; she'll come to our house during labour and then go the hospital with us if that's what we want; whatever we say goes - she's not there to change our minds about anything; she stays for up to 2 hours after birth and helps with breastfeeding; she comes to the house 3 times after the birth to make sure things are going okay and see if we need any help.
I'm feeling pretty good about this. We may not have signed up with the most experienced, polished person in the world - but she suits us just fine. I've got my team all assembled.
Holy shit... I'm still the one that has to do the birth part though.
The first obstacle was to convince Rick that such a person was required. At first he was offended, thinking that I was trying to replace him. But after reading more on the subject he has slowly come to see the potential benefits. If we end up having a long labour and he has to go and eat or go for a pee for that matter, now he'll have a backup to spell him out. Not being the sole person responsible for trying to keep me calm and breathing is what has clinched it for him I think.
The second obstacle to overcome was to find someone who doesn't mind traveling around the city. We live at one end and the hospital we're delivering at is right downtown.
Our first candidate cancelled on us twice before we'd even met - she was promptly crossed off the list. Fate would have it that when I asked my OB if he knew of any Doulas, he in fact did. Another patient of his had recently become a Doula and he gave me her information.
Last night we met with Paula abDoula (names have been changed to protect the innocent). She is 10 years younger than me and full of enthusiasm and energy (not that the two things are necessarily related). Because she is still being certified, and we are taking a chance by using her - there would be no monetary cost to us (I'm not sure that Rick actually needed to hear any more than that).
Paula provides a pretty thorough service: she'll help us with our birth plan and teach me some positions and breathing techniques - 2 meetings with us before labour; she's available for questions 24/7; she has a backup person in case of emergency on her end; she'll come to our house during labour and then go the hospital with us if that's what we want; whatever we say goes - she's not there to change our minds about anything; she stays for up to 2 hours after birth and helps with breastfeeding; she comes to the house 3 times after the birth to make sure things are going okay and see if we need any help.
I'm feeling pretty good about this. We may not have signed up with the most experienced, polished person in the world - but she suits us just fine. I've got my team all assembled.
Holy shit... I'm still the one that has to do the birth part though.

2 Comments:
You sure did get your money's worth with Paula. All that service for freeee! What really seems to matter is that your personalities mesh well. Sounds like you've made a great choice!
LOL! You'll do just fine! Sounds like you have a great arrangement there, too! Cost was one of the things that prevented me from even considering having a doula. Well, that and modesty (the less people in that room, the better!!). Glad she's working out!!
Post a Comment
<< Home