Ode to an ex-boyfriend
When things are going well I find I don't have very much that's interesting to say! I am feeling fairly stable these last few days and am starting to get a bit worried that I have a big downward spiral ahead of me or something! That's the way to think positive isn't it???
Last night Rick and I went out to get some supplies for our camping trip and stopped by our friend's place on the way home to pick up our swimming towels and bathing suits. Maria didn't answer the phone but it turned out she was home pulling out weeds between the patio stones around the pool (it doesn't get much more fun than that). She twisted our arms to come in for a drink (I love Maria, she's the kind of girl that gets home after a hard days work and has a Cinzano and cola on the rocks every night to unwind - with a cigarette - the kind of stuff I used to think being a grown up actually would be like, but it's really not... well it is for Maria).
We got to talking and I found out that my old boyfriend - Jay, who I went out with for 3 years at the end of highschool/beginning of Unversity, has just moved to L.A. and they had a big going away party for him. I was kind of sad that I didn't get to go and say good bye. He was the only boyfriend I ever had, aside from Rick, that was a real decent guy. And of course, I treated him like crap. He was always there for me, long after I dumped him for a guy that I met in English class in my first year at school. I'll never forget one time that I had stayed over at a boyfriend's house (this was #2 post Jay) - and I had my mom's car and got a flat tire. I was across the city from my house, my boyfriend had left for work, my parents were away and I was actually planning on driving home on the rim! I didn't get very far... so I pulled over and called Jay from a pay phone. He lived about 30 minutes north of city at that time and he drove all the way down there and changed the tire for me while I watched... then got back in his car and drove home! All this on a Saturday. I know I sound like a huge jerk - well I was!!! He wasn't just some wimpy, loser sap that you could use as a dormat because he had nothing better to do either. He was a really popular, good looking guy with loads of friends and a busy schedule. Anyway, we lost touch after I got married, although we both heard stories about each other through Maria. I really wish that I had gotten to see him one more time and tell him that he is a really great guy and that I'm sorry for being such a selfish girl back then.
So wherever you are out there Jay - I wish you all the happiness and success in the world and even though it's years after the fact - I truly appreciate what a wonderful friend you were to me, even if I wasn't one to you.
------------------------------
Last night's dinner recipe...
Steamed broccoli with baked garlic, honey tofu and crispy sweet potatoes.
For tofu:
1 block of firm tofu, cut into 1 inch chunks (or whatever looks good to you)
About 1/3 cup of tamari sauce, light soy sauce or Bragg's liquid seasoning (my preference)
4 or 5 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon of raw honey
Place tofu in an oven proof dish. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour over tofu. Marinate for about 30 minutes. Bake in 350F oven for about 20 minutes.
Crispy sweet potatoes:
3-4 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into wedges.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Seasoning (this can be a few pinches of whatever you like - cayenne pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin etc.)
Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and seasonings and then spread out on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350F oven for about 20-30 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, place under broiler for about a minute or so until crispy.
Steamed broccoli - I think this is self-explanatory! Squeeze some lemon over top before serving.
Last night Rick and I went out to get some supplies for our camping trip and stopped by our friend's place on the way home to pick up our swimming towels and bathing suits. Maria didn't answer the phone but it turned out she was home pulling out weeds between the patio stones around the pool (it doesn't get much more fun than that). She twisted our arms to come in for a drink (I love Maria, she's the kind of girl that gets home after a hard days work and has a Cinzano and cola on the rocks every night to unwind - with a cigarette - the kind of stuff I used to think being a grown up actually would be like, but it's really not... well it is for Maria).
We got to talking and I found out that my old boyfriend - Jay, who I went out with for 3 years at the end of highschool/beginning of Unversity, has just moved to L.A. and they had a big going away party for him. I was kind of sad that I didn't get to go and say good bye. He was the only boyfriend I ever had, aside from Rick, that was a real decent guy. And of course, I treated him like crap. He was always there for me, long after I dumped him for a guy that I met in English class in my first year at school. I'll never forget one time that I had stayed over at a boyfriend's house (this was #2 post Jay) - and I had my mom's car and got a flat tire. I was across the city from my house, my boyfriend had left for work, my parents were away and I was actually planning on driving home on the rim! I didn't get very far... so I pulled over and called Jay from a pay phone. He lived about 30 minutes north of city at that time and he drove all the way down there and changed the tire for me while I watched... then got back in his car and drove home! All this on a Saturday. I know I sound like a huge jerk - well I was!!! He wasn't just some wimpy, loser sap that you could use as a dormat because he had nothing better to do either. He was a really popular, good looking guy with loads of friends and a busy schedule. Anyway, we lost touch after I got married, although we both heard stories about each other through Maria. I really wish that I had gotten to see him one more time and tell him that he is a really great guy and that I'm sorry for being such a selfish girl back then.
So wherever you are out there Jay - I wish you all the happiness and success in the world and even though it's years after the fact - I truly appreciate what a wonderful friend you were to me, even if I wasn't one to you.
------------------------------
Last night's dinner recipe...
Steamed broccoli with baked garlic, honey tofu and crispy sweet potatoes.
For tofu:
1 block of firm tofu, cut into 1 inch chunks (or whatever looks good to you)
About 1/3 cup of tamari sauce, light soy sauce or Bragg's liquid seasoning (my preference)
4 or 5 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon of raw honey
Place tofu in an oven proof dish. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour over tofu. Marinate for about 30 minutes. Bake in 350F oven for about 20 minutes.
Crispy sweet potatoes:
3-4 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into wedges.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Seasoning (this can be a few pinches of whatever you like - cayenne pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin etc.)
Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and seasonings and then spread out on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350F oven for about 20-30 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, place under broiler for about a minute or so until crispy.
Steamed broccoli - I think this is self-explanatory! Squeeze some lemon over top before serving.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home