Heparin junky
I am now a pin cushion. I injected my third shot of Heparin in my leg last night and I think I'm getting pretty good at it.
Friday night was my first injection. I read through the leaflet that came with the vial of Heparin and then called the pharmacist to ask why it said not to take if pregnant. I then measured out a shot of water in the same amount as I was supposed to take, into a teaspoon, to make sure it actually looked like the right amount and not an over dose! Then finally I made Rick come into the bathroom and confirm that I was grabbing fat and not muscle to inject into. Once I had finished the injection and gotten into bed, I was sure that my leg was starting to go numb and burn. I imagined all kinds of things going wrong - because that's what I do.
Saturday night I decided to try the injection in my abdomen like the nurse had suggested. Well that just plain hurt - I won't be doing that again. And by last night, shooting up had already become part of my routine and I didn't even think twice about it - just did it and went to sleep.
Only 30 more weeks to go!
Friday night was my first injection. I read through the leaflet that came with the vial of Heparin and then called the pharmacist to ask why it said not to take if pregnant. I then measured out a shot of water in the same amount as I was supposed to take, into a teaspoon, to make sure it actually looked like the right amount and not an over dose! Then finally I made Rick come into the bathroom and confirm that I was grabbing fat and not muscle to inject into. Once I had finished the injection and gotten into bed, I was sure that my leg was starting to go numb and burn. I imagined all kinds of things going wrong - because that's what I do.
Saturday night I decided to try the injection in my abdomen like the nurse had suggested. Well that just plain hurt - I won't be doing that again. And by last night, shooting up had already become part of my routine and I didn't even think twice about it - just did it and went to sleep.
Only 30 more weeks to go!

3 Comments:
Ouch! I can't say I envy that you are now a pin cushion. The thought of it makes me cringe :( But I'm glad that you're starting to not think about it so much. I'm sure in another 30 weeks, you'll be doing ot in your sleep! Anything for a healthy little baby, though.
What we won't do for our babies! Hoping it is much easier to do & less painful & colorful for you.
Take Care of you & this little bean. Thinking of you!
Have a Great Weekend! Whatever/whereever it may be!
Hehehehe... I shouldn't be laughing. What you're describing is painful, and certainly not fun. But the way you described it like you were some kind of junky was so funny. I'm glad you've taken to it well. And I don't blame you for not doing the shots in your abdomen-I imagine that would hurt more.
BTW, what happens if you hit muscle instead of fat?
Post a Comment
<< Home