Birth Story - Finally!

Sam’s Birth Story

Labour:
Ironically enough, I started getting contractions the day that my doctor went out of town – Friday, July 22nd. They started coming on pretty strong by Saturday evening and kept me up all night. We called our Doula on Sunday morning around 7am, as the contractions were 10 minutes apart and getting stronger.
It took all day to get to 5 minutes apart and we didn’t end up leaving for the hospital until about 5pm. Once we got there they treated us like royalty. We got a room right by the nurses’ station and were made as comfy as possible. I spent pretty much all day and night on the birthing ball with Amanda (the Doula) putting counter pressure on my back and Rick holding me up from the front. When they did the first internal I was only 2cm dilated and realized we had a long night ahead.
I tried walking around and using the Jacuzzi tub in the room, but the ball was the best thing. At about 1am on Sunday morning we were all getting pretty worn out and I was still only 8cm dilated and my water hadn’t broken. The baby was at +2 station however and they were advising me to have my water broken (although not insisting). After thinking about it for about an hour, I decided to let them do it, but also asked (through tears) for an epidural. By this time I was pretty much spent and couldn’t face the thought of even heavier contractions without any rest.
They gave me a “walking epidural” and commended me for sticking it out so long. We managed to rest a bit after that and by the time the sun was coming up the epidural was wearing off a bit. The nurse came to empty my bladder and then suddenly the baby’s heart rate dropped. They put me on oxygen and rolled me from side to side. They then inserted a scalp monitor and put me on some pitocin (it’s true, once you have one intervention – the flood gates are opened). Baby’s heart rate came back up and my fear of emergency C-section was put at ease.
Right at the staff shift change it was time to start pushing as I was finally fully dilated. By now the epidural had pretty totally worn off, except for one numb leg (they never showed me that I could have pushed a little button to have more pain relief, but in retrospect I’m glad about that). I started pushing – with Rick holding up one leg and supporting my head, and Amanda holding the other leg – before the Dr. and her interns even got set up. After about 20 minutes of intense pushing and an intern using olive oil to massage my perineum, Rick finally yelled out “it’s a boy!”
Samuel Jack Santos was born at 8:32am and Rick stayed with him while he was suctioned and had the Apgar tests. They gave me a local and stitched me up (I had second degree tears) and then I got to hold little Sammy. It was the happiest moment of my life. I cried and cried and hugged him and then nursed him. He fell asleep for hours after that, all snug in my arms. We got to leave the hospital the next afternoon after proving that Sam and I could breastfeed and that Rick could change diapers.
Breastfeeding:
I guess anyone whose tried it knows that it’s no easy task. I had my suspicions and they have been confirmed. Sam was dehydrated within the first week and we had to supplement with a bit of water and two bottles of formula. One visit from the public health nurse and a visit to a breastfeeding clinic and we were doing much better. He put on weight really quickly after that and we’re up to our eyeballs in dirty diapers now.
My nipples still hurt a bit, but I went back to the breastfeeding clinic and they seem to think we’re doing okay, so I just worry about it less now and go with the flow so to speak. I am also pumping when I can so that Rick has at least one emergency bottle in the freezer for when I’m out doing errands without Sam and he gets hungry.
We’re going to stick with the breastfeeding as long as we can.
Sleeping:
Pretty scattered, as can be expected. Sam does manage about 2, 3 hour spurts during the night – and I am sleeping well during those times. I have pretty much taken to sleeping with him next to me during the night and we’re both much happier. I actually sleep better with him right there and can usually avoid him crying before I feed him.
Sleeping during the day isn’t working for me, so I use his nap times to get some work done and cook etc. He doesn’t seem to sleep for long during the day unless we’re out in the car or in the stroller.
Overall:
We both love Sammy to bits and can’t imagine life without him. The second he was born my heart doubled in size. Lack of sleep, not being on time for anything, pee and poop all over the place - none of it matters, I'm totally happy.

5 Comments:
Awwww!!! Sounds like you were a trooper. Not sure I could go through the experience w/o meds. Funny trick they played by not telling you about that little button. Seems like motherhood is fitting you well.
Congrats Again!!!!
Congratulations Jackie! What a beautiful story. I'm so happy for all of you!
So glad to see your birth story! It was worth the wait! :) You're right on the interventions... I found that I ended up with everything I didn't want because I had a pitocin induction. But in the end, all that matters is that you have a healthy baby!
Congrats!!!! The sleep situation will get better, I promise! :)
I want to try this one with no meds.
Sam is such a cutie!
That was so beautiful!!
Congratulations!
Your sweet baby is beautiful!!
Post a Comment
<< Home